WHAT IS TKT (TEACHING KNOWLEDGE TESTS)?
TKT tests knowledge about English language teaching. The tests are designed to encourage teachers in their professional development and provide a step in their progression on the Cambridge English Teaching Framework. Candidates can also use TKT to access further training and enhance career opportunities.
WHAT ARE TKT MODULES 1-3 ?
TKT is devided into separate modules. Candidates can take them all, or choose the modules that meet thier needs. A certificate is received for each module completed.
The core modules are designed to provide the foundation in the principles and practice of English language teaching:
- TKT Module 1 – Language and background to language learning and teaching
- TKT Module 2 – Lesson planning and use of resources for language teaching
- TKT Module 3 – Managing the teaching and the learning process
Teaching knowledge is assessed by means of objective-format tests, which are simple to administer and to take.
There are further specialist modules which can be take separately or added to core modules:
- TKT YL: Young Learners
- TKT: CLIL (Content and Language Integrated Learning)
WHO ARE TKT MODULES 1-3 FOR?
TKT Modules 1, 2 and 3 test knowledge of concepts related to language, language use and the background to and the practice of language teaching and learning.
TKT is suited for teachers of English in primary, secondary or adult teaching contexts.
TKT Modules 1, 2 and 3 may be taken by:
- pre-service teachers
- teachers who wish to refresh and extend their teaching knowledge
- teachers who are moving to teaching English after teaching another subject
ENTRY CRITERIA AND REQUIREMENTS
Candidates are not required to fulfil any specific criteria for TKT Modules1,2 and 3 but we recommend candidates have a minimum B1 Intermediate level in English language on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFRL).
Candidates are expected to be familiar with language relating to the practice of English language teaching. A non-exhaustive list of teaching terminology and definitions is provided in the TKT Glossary.
WHAT CAN SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES DO WITH TKT ?
TKT increases teachers’ confidence and enables them to progress to other Cambridge English Teaching Qualifications.
TKT is recognised as an English language teaching qualification by many organisations and institutions around the world.
Each TKT module consists of a timed pencil-and-paper test featuring 80 multiple-choice questions.
TKT Modules 1, 2 and 3 test candidate’s knowledge of concepts related to language teaching and learning rather than their proficiency in the English language, or their performance in classroom situations.
APPROACHES TO TEACHING AND LEARNING
A range of approaches to teaching and learning may be covered in the test material. Materials are successfully selected so that they are fair to candidates from all backrounds and teaching contexts. Knowledge to communicative and other approaches to teaching is expected, as is familiarity with the common terminology of English language teaching ( a non-exhaustive list of teaching terminology and definitions is provided in the TKT Glossary).
SOURCES AND TEXT TYPES USED IN THE MODULES 1-3
Extracts, original or adapted, from the following sources may feature in TKT Modules 1, 2 and 3:
- English language teaching coursebooks or supplementary materials
- handbooks on English language teaching and learning
- English language teaching journals and magazines
- testing material
- grammar books and dictionaries, including phnemic transcriptions (IPA- International Phnetic Alphabet)
- diagrams or other visuals
- transcriptions of classroom talk
- descriptions of classroom situations
- examples of learners’ writing.
Results for TKT are described as being in one of four band scores, 1-4. There is no Pass or Fail. Every candidate receives a certificate for each Module taken.
- Band 1: Demonstrates limited knowledge of TKT content areas
- Band 2: Demonstrates basic but systematic knowledge of TKT content areas
- Band 3: Demonstrates breadth and depth of knowledge of TKT content areas
- Band 4: Demonstrates extensive knowledge of TKT content areas
Results for TKT are not released online. The certificates are available 4 weeks after the exam day.
PREPARING FOR TKT MODULES 1-3
TKT Preparation Course:
- Course: 10 hours of one to one tuition
- Mode: Visioconference
- Trainer profile: TKT Teacher Trainer
- Cost: 800 euros TTC
It is not necessary to complete a course to enter for TKT Modules 1, 2 and 3. Candidates can prepare for their exam independently.
TKT MODULES 1-3 DATES
TKT Modules 1, 2 and 3 can be taken the same day.
Session : 28th April 2021