TEACHER TRAINING - A PASSPORT FOR THE FUTURE
The globalized world is leading governments to revise their foreign language acquisition programmes in schools and in further education. Opportunities for language teaching worldwide have soared both in the public and private sector.
The increasing demand for language and subject teachers worldwide both for:
Language acquisition and for CLIL (Content Language Integrated Learning) in primary, secondary and further education sectors has opened a new career path for potential teachers and for experienced practicing teachers worldwide
ILC France in the heart of Paris is a centre of excellence for Teacher Training and offers a range of courses for those who want to become language teachers and for those who are practicing teachers.
- CELTA Full- Time and Online Blended Courses
- Methodology and Development for Practicing Teachers.
WHAT DOES CELTA MEAN EXACTLY ?
CELTA stands for : Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. The CELTA qualification is awarded by Cambridge English Language Assessment, part of the world famous University of Cambridge. It has top quality recognition worldwide and opens up a host of professional opportunities to those who possess it. Over 10 000 candidates successfully complete CELTA courses every year.
As the first centre in France to offer the CELTA course, ILC France, located in the heart of Paris, has been running courses for over 35 years, providing trainees with proven techniques for teaching English as a second language to students of all nationalities.
HOW DOES THE CELTA COURSE WORK ?
A major feature of the CELTA course is that it combines theory with hands-on practice and is composed of five main units of learning:
- Learners and teachers, and the teaching and learning contents.
- Language analysis and awareness.
- Language skills: reading, writing, listening and speaking.
- Planning and resources for different contexts.
- Developing teaching skills and professionalism.
There are two types of CELTA courses on offer at ILC France in Paris:
- Intensive four week course
- Extensive thirteen week blended online course
The course requirements and content are the same but the delivery mode is different:
FULL- TIME CELTA four week course (face to face intensive course)
- Full time face to face at ILC France in Paris with 140 hours in total.
- There is a mandatory 6 hours of teaching practice for each candidate.
- Teaching practice, feedback and guided lesson planning takes place every morning.
- Input seminars take place every afternoon.
- The mandatory 4 written assignments are submitted one per week.
- Contact and exchange with the trainers is constant every day over the four weeks.
ONLINE BLENDED CELTA thirteen week course (online and face to face extensive course)
- Thirty online seminars organized extensively over thirteen weeks with 120 hours in total
- Trainers monitor online course work every 2 days.
- Trainer forums are organized regularly.
- There is a mandatory 6 hours of teaching practice for each candidate.
- Teaching practice, feedback and guided lesson planning take place face to face 2 days every 2 weeks at ILC France in Paris.
- The mandatory 4 written assignments are submitted one every 2,5 weeks.
- Contact and exchange with trainers and candidates take place online regularly.
WHAT DOES THE CELTA COURSE COVER EXACTLY ?
- The course covers the general principles of teaching adult classes, at all levels from beginners to post-intermediate: most students throughout the world fall into this category.
- Develop an awareness of language and a knowledge of the description of English and apply these in professional practice.
- Develop an initial understanding of the contexts within which adults learn English, their motivations and the roles of the teacher and the learner.
- Develop familiarity with the principles and practice of effective teaching to adult learners of English.
- Develop basic skills for teaching adults in the language classroom.
- Develop familiarity with appropriate resources and materials for use with adult learners of English for teaching, testing and referencing.
NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS
ILC France runs courses for 12 candidates on intensive courses, divided into two groups for Teaching Practice(TP). Online Blended courses cater for up to 20 candidates, divided into 4 groups for TP.
There is no exam on the CELTA course, assessment is continuous and integrated. « Continuous » means that assessment takes place throughout the course. « Integrated » means that each assessed component contributes to the overall grade and that any one assessed component can cover a number of topics and objectives in the syllabus.
Every course is monitored by an external Cambridge English assessor. There are three components which are assessed:
- Teaching practice
- Written assignments
- Professional development
At the end of the course, candidates are awarded either a PASS A, PASS B or PASS grade.
For more information on the grades please refer to the syllabus which can be found on the Cambridge English website
CELTA AS A PASSPORT
CELTA is appropriate for a wide range of people. It is the ideal qualification and a passport to travel for those who want to start English language teaching anywhere in the world.
It is also suitable for people who want a career break or change and for those already teaching English who have no formal qualifications.
The course is only suitable for those who are already proficient in English (i.e. those with a level of written and spoken language equivalent to C2 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR), or IELTS level 8).
Potential candidates must also be at least 20 years old and be eligible for higher education.
- Be at least 20 years of age
- Have a higher education diploma or equivalent (This requirement may be waived at the discretion of the CELTA Director based on the candidate’s oral interview)
- Complete the pre-course language evaluation task called the CELTA Pre-Interview Task (you can find this documents in Apply)
- Pass a 60-minute interview over the phone or face to face with a CELTA Trainer
- Have competency in both written and spoken English
- Have potential to develop the necessary skills to become an effective teacher.
« It was a real pleasure to be on the course coached by ILC CELTA trainers, Darren & Ruth. Your support has been tremendously appreciated and I would like to highlight the flexibility and creativity you have shown to adapt to the COVID-19 crisis«
Murielle – CELTA March-June 2020
« Excellent course and I would recommend ILC to future teacher trainees«
Jérpome – CELTA September 2020
« It was a very intense course but it provided us with tools and structure and lots of best practices which I will use going forward. »
Eilis – CELTA March 2020
« I loved the face-to-face experience at ILC. It was nice seeing the tutors every morning as well as my classmates and there was always a sense of camaraderie and a positive, helpful atmosphere.«
Maggie – CELTA March 2020
« Excellent. I also found the cost quite reasonable compared to many professional trainings in France«
Ann – CELTA January 2021
« Very well structured, exceptional Tutors!«
Sandrine – CELTA January 2021
« This was the most challenging and the most rewarding thing I have ever done in my life. I am so grateful for CELTA taken at ILC France.«
Laura – CELTA May-Oct 2020
« Great course, great tutors, great place!«
Benjamin CELTA October 2020